Providing Services to Our 
Customers Since 1981!
Billing & Payment Information
The District bills annually each February.  The District does not prorate bills. For detailed information on how your bill is calculated, please see the Service Fees & Charges section.

The property owner is ultimately responsible for all fees assessed on their property.  However, the District will accept payments from 3rd parties with written permission from the property owner.  To download a Billing Information Change Request form, click below on the form that applies to you and fax, email or mail the signed form to the District Management Office.

These forms are for existing customers - for Utility Transfer Status or Final requests, please contact the District Office at (303) 674-3379

Billing Information Change Request Form - Property Owner
Billing Information Change Request Form - Property Manager
Billing Information Change Request Form - Tenant 
Payment Options
The District has several options for paying your bill.  

You may mail your check or money order to the District at:

P.O. Box 3399
Evergreen, CO 80437

*Please be sure to enclose the remittance portion of your bill. 

If you wish to pay your bill by credit card, you may use our online bill pay option under the Pay My Bill tab.   

Running short on time?  Call the District's office at (303) 674-3379, ext. 200, and we can accept your credit card payment over the phone.  Alternatively, you can bring your payment, in the form of cash, money order or credit card, directly to the District Manager's office.  

Click here for the location of the District Manager's Offices.
Questions About Your Bill?
If you feel you have received your bill in error or have any billing questions, please contact the District's management office at (303) 674-3379, ext. 200. The District makes every effort to ensure all bills are mailed to the proper address. If your bill is not addressed in the correct name, we would appreciate your help in updating our records. Please contact our office so that we can assist you in making those changes. 

The District's customers also receive bills monthly from Denver Water. Customers may also receive stormwater drainage bills from the City of Lakewood or Jefferson County depending on where their property is located. If you have questions about the bills you receive from these organizations, please see the Other Service Providers section for information on how to contact them.